OPIRG works to create and sustain student and community-based engagement through research, education and action on social justice and environmental issues; challenging oppression in all its forms; and using consensus-based decision-making in a non-hierarchical and accessible setting.
What we offer
– Volunteer and Board member opportunities
– Student jobs
– Class placements for highschool, undergraduate, or graduate programs.
– Two programs: the Free Market and Green Dishes.
– Research projects through the Trent Community Research Center.
– Events/workshops such as: Annual Free Market Giveaway, Vegan BBQ, and Succulent workshop
– Professional development training in anti-oppression and consensus-based decision-making
– Funding for community initiatives.
– A space and resources for Working Groups. An example of a successful Working Group that OPIRG help create, support, and sustain is the Food Issues Group (FIG) . The group eventually turned into the popular Seasoned Spoon Cafe and Trent University
– Disorientation Week every September. It is a week of workshops, discussions, tours, and events that engage new and returning students, as well as the Nogojiwanong (Peterborough) community, that challenge you to think differently and focus on social and environmental justice issues.
Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG) was first established in Ontario in 1973. Today there are about a dozen PIRGs across Ontario and several across the country.
In 1976 via a campus-wide referendum OPIRG Peterborough became an autonomous member of the Ontario PIRG’s movement.
The Peterborough Chapter of the Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG) has provided a space, a multitude of resources and support for students and community members to develop activist and transferable skills, while they work on social and environmental issues that are of utmost importance to them and their communities to implement social change.
**If you are a student requesting a levy refund be sure to email us at OPIRG@trentu.ca before the deadline: January 31st **