OPIRG Peterborough is a non-profit organization that operates with a volunteer Board of Directors composed of Trent students and community members who use consensus-based decision making in a non-hierarchical and anti-oppressive setting.
The Board is responsible for upholding the structure and function of the organization to ensure that OPIRG fulfils its mandated purposes, goals, and objectives through maintaining accountability to its membership, the OPIRG Provincial Network, and the Peterborough/Nogojiwanong and Trent University communities that OPIRG serves.
Board members are elected annually at our Annual General Meeting and typically serve a two year term. The Board of Directors is comprised of 7 individuals with a maximum of 3 non-student members.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Board:
- Support OPIRG’s projects and support the work of the Working Groups, and Committees;
- Be the employer as defined by the Collective Agreement with CUPE 1281;
- Work collectively with the board and staff to oversee the work of the organization;
- Be part of the planning, visioning, and the setting of priorities for the organization;
- Collectively responsible for the financial sustainability of the organization and acting as the organizations fiduciaries;
- Develop and implement policies for the organization and ensure the organization is in accordance with OPIRG By-Laws, the Corporations Act, and the Board Contract;
- Represent membership and liaise with the local community and stakeholders;
- Attend bi-weekly/monthly board meetings and make decisions on behalf of the organization using consensus-based decision making.
* Board members cannot receive any remuneration for their work with OPIRG Peterborough.