Contract Position through Canada Summer Jobs
Position: Programming Coordinator
Reports to: OPIRG Peterborough Coordinator
Compensation: 30 hours per week for 8 weeks (240 hours), at $15 per hour.
Anticipated start date: May 17th, 2021
OPIRG works to create and sustain student and community-based engagement through research, education and action on social justice and environmental issues; challenging oppression in all its forms; and using consensus-based decision-making in a non-hierarchical and accessible setting.
The Programming Coordinator will work with the OPIRG Peterborough staff and Board of Directors to: Liaise between OPIRG Peterborough social and environmental justice programming and the Trent/Peterborough/Nogojiwanong community programming.
- Plan and help carry out OPIRG’s programming such as workshops and events, supporting the Free Market working group, Green Dishes sustainable dish rental program and related events, all in compliance with Covid-19 protocol.
- With assistance from OPIRG’s Coordinator, help coordinate volunteers
- Create promotional materials relating to workshops and events, the Free Market and Green Dishes programs, and other programming as needed
- Attend local environmental and social justice meetings as the OPIRG representative.
- Help create promotional materials and facilitate outreach. Use Instagram, Twitter, email, Facebook, our website and e-newsletter to raise awareness, recruit volunteers and promote our events and services.
- Take on additional tasks as required for planning and carrying out OPIRG’s various initiatives.
Qualification and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills (sensitivity to others, ability to work respectfully and cooperatively within a diverse group of people)
- Ability to show initiative and work both independently and as a team.
- Experience with a variety of information and communication technologies (computer software such as Word processing, Google Docs, social media platforms, Canva, etc.)
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to anti-oppression theory and practice.
- Interest in and understanding of social and environmental justice issues.
- Applicants must fit the Canada Summer Jobs requirements.
- Deadline May 11, 2021 at 12pm. Please send resume and cover letter in one PDF attachment by email, attention hiring committee, to email@example.com.
OPIRG Peterborough welcomes the contributions that individuals from marginalized communities bring to our organization and invites applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, people of colour, poor and working-class people and those on social assistance, women, gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, transgender, transsexual, intersex and two-spirit people, single parents, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants, people from non-academic backgrounds and people with disabilities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the contributions and experiences they would bring to OPIRG Peterborough in their cover letter. We will work to accommodate the needs of applicants throughout all stages of the selection process. To ensure needs are accommodated through this process please contact