OPIRG-Peterborough recognizes that we work and are located on the traditional territory of the Anishinaabe (Ojibway). Originally named and known as Nogojiwanong (“place at the end of rapids”), the area was only renamed as Peterborough in the 19th century after being colonized by European settlers. No treaty was signed until 1923 when, after the theft of land had already occurred, the Williams Treaties were signed.
OPIRG-Peterborough’s office is located on the first floor of Sadleir House, a beautiful old house that used to be owned by Trent University. When the university sold off the building against massive student protest during a neoliberal restructuring of the school, the student body collectively purchased back the building. Sadleir House now hosts a number of student organizations, including OPIRG-Peterborough, the Free Market, and the OPIRG Food Cupboard.
While it is possible to access the OPIRG office by wheelchair, we regret that the full interior of our office may not be fully accessible to all. Unfortunately there is no elevator access to the basement of Sadleir House, where the Food Cupboard and Free Market are located. Please contact us and we will make alternate arrangements for access to our services.
Room 102, Sadleir House
751 George St N.
Tues-Fri 11am – 5pm
Mondays by chance