Working groups are essentially collectives -groups of people who voluntarily agree to work together on a common issue towards a common goal while sharing responsibilities and decisions equally. OPIRG Peterborough working groups work on specific issues pertaining to social justice and environmental issues and are dedicated to enacting change on campus and in the broader community.
The Working Group model allows OPIRG to diversify our focus on different issues, and to increase ideas, energy and hope in order to achieve greater impacts. For example:
- More Impact: The power of a lot of people working together assists in making positive social and environmental changes that may be difficult or unreachable with one person.
- More Ideas, Energy, and Hope: It’s easier to keep working on issues against seemingly insurmountable odds when you’re doing it with others who want things to change too.
- More Issues: Rather than the board of directors or staff deciding what issues and projects should be undertaken, working groups assist us in diversifying our work since social and environmental issues have such a large scope.
Support Working Groups receive from OPIRG:
- Budget: We offer a budget for all Working Groups as well as access to other important resources such as movie nights, handbooks, outreach materials, training and more.
- Volunteer Outreach: We give out your Working Group’s literature as well as directing potential volunteers to your meetings/email.
- Training: We offer anti-oppression, consensus-based decision making, and other training for all Working Groups. OPIRG facilitates other workshops or training on-demand for your Working Group, such as strategic planning, and facilitation training.
- Meeting Space and Resources: Working Groups may use the OPIRG office as a place to meet and hold meetings or we can book rooms to have your meetings, host events, meets-and-greets, film screening etc. on Trent Campus or at Sadleir house. Green Dishes can be provided for group events.
- Connection and Partnership: We can connect your group to others across the province or across the country that are doing similar work. OPIRG can partner on events.
- Events Promotion: OPIRG helps plan and brainstorm possible events, workshops, and programming. We provide dedicated space on our website for groups to use as a homepage or to post news or blog articles. The email newsletter is used to send information about your events and meetings. Finally we can help you draft literature, make posters, put up posters, and generally advertise your Working Group, your events, or your meetings.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your working group, applying for a working group, or any of the above information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.